Subject: RE: RAIDFrame and RAID-5
To: 'NetBSD-current Discussion List' <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Hertz <thomas@hz.se>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2003 21:50:53
> I've not yet had enough experience with it running under
> 1.6.2_STABLE to know if it's safe yet again to turn on
> softdep, but I'm going to assume not for the time being.

Given the hazzles with my Raid array, I wouldn't recommend turning
softdeps on. :)

> I don't know that I've pushed it all that hard but I have
> done full builds with all but source in my $HOME, including
> simultaneously running the build both locally and on another
> relatively fast machine using NFS and with switched
> 100baseTX/FDX between the two.

What really works like a charm to lock my system up, is to write large
files (~800Mb) while simultanously writing a series of smaller files.
With vanilla settings it will only take a few minutes to bring to system
to a freeze.

> I hope to convert the 4-disk array into a 7-disk array with a
> hot spare soon so I'll see if that makes any difference.

How large is your array? When benchmarking my system to determine
appropriate values for the chunk size, I used only small partitions
(~1gig each) and I didnt experience one single crash even with extensize
iozone and bonnie running.

> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

Sorry 'bout that. Generally I don't mind HTML mail, but I always respect
other opinions. :)

// Thomas Hertz