Subject: Re: Update disaster narrowly averted today!
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/2003 19:56:00
Quentin Garnier wrote:
> Le Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:28:39 -0700
> walt a ecrit :
> [...]
>
>>The trick would be to copy the new libc.so.12.103 to /lib BEFORE
>>doing the install of userland, just in case you run into the same
>>problem.
>>
>>I just updated my source tree again and found lots of new updates,
>>so perhaps I just picked the wrong moment to update.  I'm about
>>to recompile and try again.
>

> Another possible path is to build sets, reboot with the new kernel,
> potentially use /rescue for init, sh and pax, untar the sets, and then do
> the postinstall stuff.

Well, everything worked out okay on my second trip through building
the system.  I think in retrospect that rebooting the new kernel
before installing the new userland would have worked better.

The one BIG problem I still have is with the recent update of
ld.elf_so to ver.1.100 becuase metacity and pango-querymodules
segfault.  This prevents the use of Gnome which is a big deal
for my purposes.

Reverting ld.elf_so to ver 1.99 is an OK workaround but I wish
someone could find a fix for this headache.

Otherwise all is well.