Subject: syspkgs languishing?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/2003 18:12:21
	Is anyone working on/using syspkgs?  I recently tried to register packages
on one of my computers and had to go fiddle around with stuff to get it to
work at all.  (I had to change several ". ./sets.subr" lines in
distrib/sets to get a "make register" in distrib/syspkg/sets to work)

	I did eventually manage to get the base system registered as packages,
although with some quirks, such as the pathnames in the package database
all starting with "///" instead of just "/".  It looks like there's a PR
that addresses this, along with some other things.  (22514)

	What about X?  Is that considered a base package(s), or is that supposed
to end up being registered in /var/db/pkg instead?  Should I be looking in
xsrc instead of src?

	What about dependencies between pkgsrc and the base system?

	What about actually useful metapackages?  e.g. a uucp package
so I can pkg_delete uucp and have all the foo-uucp-whatever packages
go away.  Is there some plan for this?  This is mentioned in the NOTES
file, but just as a question with no definite answer.

	Is there more accurate/recent documentation on how this is supposed to
be set up and work?  A quick web search for syspkgs wasn't very useful.

eric