Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2003 23:22:40
On Dec 13,  8:30pm, Greywolf wrote:
} Thus spake John Nemeth ("JN> ") sometime Today...
}
} JN>      I believe this is coming.  It was one of the major reasons for
} JN> going to an all dynamic system.  Hey Luke, how's the work on this
} JN> coming along?
}
} Such a flag day was not well-guided.  "We're going all dynamic because

     What flag day?

} it's the only way PAM can work."

     That was not the only reason.  Other considerations were to be
able to dynamically load nsswitch modules and very importantly (for
those not in NA) was full internationalisation support.  It may be
useful for other things, but those were main benefits listed at the
time.

} [I'm trying to remain centrist, but it's not easy.  BSD Auth alone won't

     To remain centrist you need to cut out the crap.

} let us remain in the game, or so it seems to be said; PAM alone is going
} to drive our stability into the gutter, I believe, just from its very

     This is complete FUD.  I, and many others, work on systems using
PAM every day (I'm writing this letter on one) and have never had any
issues with stability.  Some of the systems I use, have PAM modules
that I've hacked on (it's really not very difficult).  Most of the
world uses PAM without any problems.

     If you have had specific problems, then you need to name them
along with a description of the environment (i.e. OS used, modules
used, etc.).

}-- End of excerpt from Greywolf