Subject: Re: -current bootblocks breaking booting off raid1 root?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2003 15:22:49
[ On Friday, September 5, 2003 at 19:56:52 (+0100), David Laight wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: -current bootblocks breaking booting off raid1 root?
>
> The questioner did imply they were using i386...

OK, thanks!

> I'm not sure about others - it sort of depends on the boot procedure, and
> what installboot does.
>
> The alpha bootxx code is very similar to the i386 code, but is exceedingly
> tight on space! so could possibly be changed.

I think the alpha already boots from RAID-1, though I've not tried it (I
don't yet have a second disk for my alpha that's not already attached to
a hardware RAID controller....)

> I don't think any others read the filesystem to get the boot program.

sparc64 (ofw boot 3.x) seems to have a proper three-stage boot that does
read UFS to find the second stage, and may already know about RAID-1, if
I understand the code right.

The OFW 3.x boot code is, of course, written in Forth.

I'm not sure why it can't be back-ported to OFW 2.x too, assuming some
Forth fluent person can find the time and initiative....  If I knew more
about OFW and if I could find some way to try to wrap my brain around
Forth, I'd give it a shot, but at the moment all I can do is look
yearningly at the sparc64 boot code and wonder how all the magic works....

PMAX would be the only other platform I'd have much interest in using
RAID-1 on at the moment....

--
						Greg A. Woods