Subject: Re: -current bootblocks breaking booting off raid1 root?
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2003 12:21:50
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:02:51AM -0400, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> In April, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
>
> > ever since I switched to raid1 root, I used setup as explained
> > from http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2001/10/18/0001.html
> > i.e. have a small wd0h partition with just the bootblocks,
> > and have them pick up kernel from one or the other side of
> > the mirror off wd0a. This worked fine.
> >
> > I updated the bootblocks to -current version, and this stopped
> > working. The bootblocks attempt to boot off wd0h, do not find
> > the kernel there (of course), and endlessly loop through
> > netbsd/onetbsd/netbsd.old etc.
>
> I just attempted a similar installation of 1.6U and encountered
> the same problem. Anyone know what's wrong?

Things have moved on....

The bootblocks will now boot straight from the raid set (provided the
root filesystem is at the start of it).

If you are running a recent current, the following should chaneg your
install so that it will boot the raid partition.

1) use fdisk to reduce the size of the existing netbsd partition to
   just be the wd0h bit.
   The add a second netbsd partition (type 169) that covers the raid set.
   Add boot menu items to both partitions.
2) use installboot to add the required bootstrap (probaly bootxx_ffsv1)
   to the root filesystem and copy /usr/mdev/biosboot to /boot

At this point both partitions should boot (albeit interactively).

3) run disklabel to rewrite the current label (do not use -r).  The
   kernel code will write the label to both of the netbsd partitions.
4) run fdisk and change the type of the original partition to something
   other than 169 (to preserve its contents in case something has gone wrong!)

Booting the netbsd partition should now still find the label!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk