Subject: Re: GCC3.3.1 switch coming soon.
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/2003 11:26:33
On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 07:10:25AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> GCC 3.3.1 causes *lots* of build problems in "pkgsrc", see e.g.
> PR toolchain/22671. I think it needs to stabelize more before it can
> be made the default compiler.

Most of the problems are stricter checking finding bogus code. That's
a good think (tm). I am not aware of a single unfixed compiler bug in the
in-tree toolchain.

Now my PR you cited may be an exception, may be caused by not yet finished
configuration for NetBSD, or by an improper update from gcc 2.95.2 to 3.3.1,
or may be the pkgs fault - we don't know yet.

But you will never find this kind of problems if it is *not* made the
default compiler.

Martin