Subject: Re: i386/GCC 3.3 problem making current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bob Bernstein <bernstein@cesmail.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2003 22:28:46
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Stephen Degler wrote:

> Well you succeded in the build part, your DESTDIR is fine.  Try this
> patch to appease the checkflist gods.

Right. Thank you! I have for the nonce backed off, and returned to a
build using the toolchain compiler. Like any good method actor, I need
to be clear about my motivation for behaving in a certain way, and apart
from 'seeing if it will work,' I don't yet have such clarity for
introducing gcc3 into my system builds. <g>

After all, it wasn't so long ago, in the bad olde days before we had a
nifty toolchain and build.sh script, that we all saw quite a bit more of
gcc and its problems than any of us were really comfortable with, so
with the latest 1.6X stuff I will build a userland using the toolchain
and then move on from there. Not having thought the whole thing through
(see above), I am indebted to the flist gods for reminding me that I am
introducing gcc3 "stuff" into my system includes and libs by virtue of
that little HAVE_GCC3 var. Can the flists handle the variances
introduced by using gcc3 to build a distribution?

--
Bob Bernstein