Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2003 02:05:30
[ On Wednesday, August 27, 2003 at 22:03:13 (-0700), Simon J. Gerraty wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: BSD Authentication
>
> You keep saying rubbish like that, as though we all have endless time
> and energy to go re-invent wheels.  Sure, its all a simple matter of
> programming, so what?

It's not "rubbish" because in fact there's no huge amount of effort
necessary to make everything work though BSD Auth.  We're really talking
only about one or a at most a couple of very simple new system calls
(they must be kept as simple as possible given they are security
related).

The rubbish is in all the smoke and mirrors being used to try to justify
the integration of a much larger and much more unwieldy chunk of
security related code which begins by relying on a feature that's highly
questionable to use in any security related code.

--
						Greg A. Woods