Subject: wsmouse problem with XFree 4.3 and Linksys switch
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/24/2003 20:06:31
I have a Linksys "Proconnect 4-station CPU switch" which is a 4-way
vga/keyboard/mouse switch, and Logitech optical cordless mouse and
keyboard.  XFree 4.3 is the first XFree I have used under NetBSD so I'm
not sure if this is a 4.3 issue; however my guess is it's a kernel
wscons driver problem and not related to XFree.

I have the keyboard protocol set to "wsmouse" with device "/dev/wsmouse"
in XF86Config.  If I boot with the keyboard and mouse connected directly
to the box's PS/2 ports, then everything works perfectly in XFree4.3.

However, if I boot with them connected indirectly to the PS/2 ports
via the Linksys switch, then the keyboard works fine, but moving the
mouse around causes the pointer to judder violently, and also appears to
send random keyboard keystrokes and mouse button press events.  This
happens regardless of which of the 4 outputs I use on the Linksys
switch.

Until now, I've never had any problems with this switch.  It works
fine under Linux and XFree 4.2, for example, with the same mouse
and keyboard, which is why I tend to suspect NetBSD and not the
switch.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, and / or any
hints on what I might try to fix it?

Thanks,

Neil.