Subject: Re: Now I've really done it: I have no more mbr
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Geoff Wing <gcw@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2003 15:58:51
Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com> typed:
:back to the netbsd bootloader. I tried installboot, fdisk -B, fdisk -i,
:etc, reading the man pages and doing the things that seemed, well,
:likely to fix things. Somewhere in all of that, I destroyed the mbr. Now
:it won't boot at all, and booting to windows showed me that I have no
:partition table.

Is it just the MBR or did you do something to your disklabel as well -
generally this is at sector 64 of the disk (counting from 0).  If
that's there then you can just drop in the base MBR code and put
in default type partition information.  First three bytes should be
574556 ("WEV") on i386.  If you only used  installboot & fdisk  then
you don't need to look for the disklabel information because it shouldn't
have overwritten that even if you used wrong partitions as arguments.

BTW, are you using diskprobe or something else on XP?

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>