Subject: Re: SIZE_T_MAX Problem
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2003 03:24:49
Quoting Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>:

> SUSv3 doesn't mention SIZE_T_MAX.  It does mention SIZE_MAX (which
> should be in <stdint.h>) which we do support in 1.6 but not 1.5.

Why do we have SIZE_T_MAX at all?  Especially considering that SIZE_T_MAX
is the only _T_MAX we have:
$ fgrep -r _T_MAX /usr/include/
/usr/include/machine/limits.h:#define   SIZE_T_MAX      UINT_MAX        /*
max value for a size_t */
/usr/include/i386/limits.h:#define      SIZE_T_MAX      UINT_MAX        /*
max value for a size_t */

> I'd suggest that we use SIZE_MAX in our sources, and let the compat goop
> define that in terms of SIZE_T_MAX if SIZE_MAX doesn't exist.  Sound
> good?

Yes for using SIZE_MAX.  I don't think there's anybody else who has
SIZE_T_MAX (and not SIZE_MAX)!?

--
Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>