Subject: Re: The smallest multi-user system
To: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/2003 20:48:01
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Brian Rose wrote:

> Should I see the emergency() message on the console (i386)?

Same source file has emergency(). It logs to the LOG_AUTH facility at the
LOG_EMERG level. If syslogd is started later (which I expect you may
not use on your "smallest" system), it may be logged.

> It looks like all systems with a ramdrive would always go to single
> user. Correct? Has anyone made a multiuser system that boots off of a
> ramdrive?

I use that init feature to build the MFS on my NetBSD live CDs which I
have been making for 1.5 years with a few different versions of
NetBSD/i386. My CDs boot multi-user (and run rc and have a getty and login
prompts).

> Any more ideas?

Maybe edit the init.c code to do some fprintf(stderr,...) at different
places with some debugging notes to let you know where you are.

> Note: I can type exit at the prompt which brings me to the login prompt
> where I can login normally.

When you exit from shell in single user mode, then it runs the runcom()
"Run the system startup script" function.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/