Subject: Re: Patch to change ethernet link addresses
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/2003 11:04:30
Thus spake Thor Lancelot Simon ("TLS> ") sometime Yesterday...

TLS> The correct way to do this sort of thing is with network-layer routing
TLS> updates, not with disgusting link-layer hackery.

You might want to tell this to the people who make failover boxes which
do just this in hardware.  They do exist.  Or, at least, this used to be
quite a common practice a few years ago.  I never got to manage one, but
I saw the setup for it.  I believe Cisco's failover HW takes the
"I-Will-Assume-The-Other's-IP-Address-AND-its-MAC-address" approach.

Someone will, no doubt, tell me {if,that} I am mistaken.

TLS> Thor

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Use the ENTIRE computer!