Subject: Garbled message from bootblocks [ Re: bootxx_ffsv1 or bootxx_ffsv2? ]
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/2003 06:51:31
Sean Davis wrote:-

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:49:11AM +0100, Neil Booth wrote:
> > I've installed the ffsv1 version as my bootblocks.  I'm not sure what
> > the difference between the two, and I can't find anything anywhere
> > that explains the difference (incidentally, the installboot manpage is
> > quite confusing for x86, what with there being no boot.i386 and biosboot
> > needing to be renamed boot - I've already had to rescue this system once
> > from having /biosboot instead of boot!).  The FFS filesystems I use have
> > been created with the most recent newfs if that matters.
> >
> > I'm scared to reboot unless I'm sure I've DTRT.
>
> If I understand correctly, the ffsv1 version is for UFS1, the standard FS
> netbsd uses, and the ffsv2 version is for UFS2, which (unless this has
> changed recently) you have to explicitly specify on the newfs command line.
> So (I think) you should be fine with bootxx_ffsv1, although I have not updated
> my bootblocks in some time, so YMMV.

Thanks.  OK, I've just rebooted.  8-)  It works, kind of.

The prompt I get from the first-stage (I assume) bootloader is

1: <[A

where the < is actually a graphical left-pointing arrow.  Hitting
space here produces "Error ?" or something similar; enter gets me
to biosboot (again, I think).

I'm willing to try patches to fix this, otherwise I may dig around
myself.  Googling shows similar reports of garbage characters with
recent bootblock updates so I don't think I'm the only one.

Neil.