Subject: Re: Couple of USB queries
To: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/2003 11:13:34
Mark Davies wrote:

>Hi,
>   I have a USB FlashDrive that works on MacOSX and Win2k (though logs an
>error on attaching) but on -current produces:
>
>uhub1 at uhub0 port 1
>uhub1: Prolific Technology Inc. USB Embedded Hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
>uhub1: 1 port with 0 removable, self powered
>umass0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
>umass0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 3
>umass0: using ATAPI over Bulk-Only
>atapibus1 at umass0 channel 0: 2 targets
>sd0 at atapibus1 drive 0: <256MB, USB2.0FlashDrive, P1.0> disk removable
>sd0(umass0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x23 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0c 00
>    SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
>     ASC/ASCQ:  Medium Not Present
>
>sd0: drive offline

Does it actually have a memory in it when you try this?

>Can anyone suggest some quirk settings that might get this going?  I tried a
>few (un)educated guesses but got no change in behaviour.  eg.
>
>       { { USB_VENDOR_PROLIFIC, USB_PRODUCT_PROLIFIC_FLASHDRIVE },
>          UMASS_WPROTO_UNSPEC, UMASS_CPROTO_UNSPEC,
>          UMASS_QUIRK_FORCE_SHORT_INQUIRY,
>          0,
>          UMATCH_VENDOR_PRODUCT,
>          NULL, NULL
>        },
>

>And a separate query.  I have here a Cardbus USB2 Host Controller card that
>when I plug into my laptop reports:
>
>(manufacturer 0x0, product 0x0) Intel 82845 Host (host bridge, revision 0x04) at
>  cardbus0 dev 0 function 0 not configured
>
>Any ideas in what would be required to get this going?

When the device is totally misidentified like this (whic it is), it's a
sure sign
that the cardbus code is totally confused.  If I recall, this happens
when the
memory and I/O window registers in the cardbus controller have not been set
up right.  I suspect that no cardbus cards work for you.  The cardbus
code has
issues that have not been resolved.

    -- Lennart