Subject: Re: success with USB2 host controller VIA VT6202, anyone?
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/2003 13:50:36
[...yes, this is an ancient message...]

In message <200302241456.PAA0000237381@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>, Matthias
writes:

-> I just got a noname PCI-USB2 master card with a VIA 6202 on it.
-> It doesn't work (boot messages appended).
->
-> On the VIA support pages I found some mumbling about "strange
-> backplane voltage requirements" without telling details; the
-> Linux USB pages call the chip "problematic" or so.
-> (Is there a chip manual available?)
->
-> Anyone having success with this chip?

I've had one of these for a while, but based on your email and some sleep-
deprived attempts I also figured it wouldn't work (I tried configuring it
as an ohci the first time and then blamed the fact that it didn't attach
on sparc64 MD PCI issues without looking carefully enough :-), so I lent
it to a co-worker who failed to get it to run under Solaris 8.

I just got the card back recently, and after plopping it in the U5 again
and configuring my kernel correctly, it just works.  I've only done the
very basic test of making sure it sees and I can talk to some USB devices
which were attached at bootup (and of those, we only have a driver for
one, so it got minimal testing).  I still have a few USB devices (CF
reader, digital camera, mouse) which I'd like to try and I want to make
sure hotplug and unplug works as expected, but it seems relatively OK.

I have no USB2.0 devices, so I can't report anything useful about the
USB2.0 part, but 1.0/1.1 devices seem to work OK.

dmesg snippet of the two USB controllers and the devices that I plugged
in last night attached at the end... the radio device I actually have
talked to via our `radioctl(1)' program and other than the fact that
it gets piss-poor reception, it seems to work.  The cheapo camera we
have no driver for, so who knows if it works or not :-)

--rafal

uhci0 at pci2 dev 2 function 0: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller (rev. 0x50)
uhci0: interrupting at ivec 14
usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: VIA Technologies UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci1 at pci2 dev 2 function 1: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller (rev. 0x50)
uhci1: interrupting at ivec 15
usb1 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1
uhub1: VIA Technologies UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ehci0 at pci2 dev 2 function 2: VIA Technologies product 0x3104 (rev. 0x51)
ehci0: interrupting at ivec 16
ehci0: EHCI version 0.95
ehci0: companion controllers, 2 ports each: uhci0 uhci1
usb2 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub2 at usb2
uhub2: VIA Technologie EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
pciide1 at pci2 dev 3 function 0: Promise Ultra66/ATA Bus Master IDE Accelerator (rev. 0x01)
pciide1: bus-master DMA support present
pciide1: primary channel configured to native-PCI mode
pciide1: using ivec 18 for native-PCI interrupt
pciide1: disabling primary channel (no drives)
pciide1: secondary channel configured to native-PCI mode
pciide1: disabling secondary channel (no drives)
pcons at mainbus0 not configured
No counter-timer -- using %tick at 360MHz as system clock.
IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
uhub1: port error, restarting port 1
uhub1: port error, giving up port 1
uhub1: port error, restarting port 2
uhub1: port error, giving up port 2
ehci0: handing over full speed device on port 1 to uhci0
uhub2: port 1, device disappeared after reset
ehci0: handing over low speed device on port 2 to uhci0
uhub2: port 2, device disappeared after reset
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
ugen0 at uhub0 port 1
ugen0: vendor 0x0545 USB IMAGING DEVICE, rev 1.01/3.0a, addr 2
udsbr0 at uhub0 port 2
udsbr0: GemTek Corp USB FM Radio, rev 1.00/4.10, addr 3
radio0 at udsbr0

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill