Subject: Re: ksyms challenge!
To: <>
From: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2003 07:26:38
Quentin Garnier wrote:
> Le Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:33:26 -0700
> walt a ecrit :
> [...]
>
>>So -- my challenge to all you longtime NetBSD users out
>>there who think you are using /dev/ksyms -- are you
>>REALLY usings ksyms?  Or not.
>

> Yes, I use ksyms, and yes, it's broken, at least from the kernel point of
> view. See kern/21526.

Thank you.

> Although from what I've seen, it's not broken from the userland point of
> view.

I don't really understand the differece.  Can you think of an example to
clarify this point?

> [...]
>
>>What do you see when you try this?
>

> Here it doesn't try to access /dev/ksyms, maybe my userland is too old.

Heh, when is the last time you updated?

> But anyway, out of curiosity, what does 'ls -l /dev/ksyms' says?

# ls -l /dev/ksyms
cr--r--r--  1 root  wheel  101, 0 Jul 28 05:42 /dev/ksyms

I don't know if you have seen my previous posts on this subject?

Apps like systat and xosview can open /dev/ksyms, BUT, when trying
to read from the device they get an ENXIO error which they are
clearly not prepared to deal with.  From my perspective it seems
better just to disable ksyms.

Actually, what I'm really trying to do is get the GNOME System-
Monitor working.  xosview and systat were just my experiments to
find the cause of the failure with GNOME's panel-applet.

Do you use GNOME by any chance, and have you tried gtop and friends?

Thanks for your help!