Subject: Re: Miscellaneous OS features
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+current-users@bjan.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/2003 21:29:44
On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 02:14:14AM -0700, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> I'd like to know if a) it's already done and I've missed it, b) it's
> been excluded deliberately or c) it would be welcomed, but nobody has
> done it yet.

This is just my EUR 0.02:

> * Generic parallel bus archetecture

In my perception there is kinda agreement that we should have that, but
noone has done it. Probably because noone realy uses // stuff nowadays
(says me who used PLIP on NetBSD in a former life)

Note that it is not *that* easy, due to the broad varity of chipsets
supported by NetBSD (but it is not impossible).

> * Kernel managed screen blanking
> * VESA 2.0 framebuffer on i386
> * Cute console screensavers :-)

No real comment on that - all seem completely useless to me, but as long as
they are optional... (I'm not sure on the screen blanking part, I'm not
running some userland stuff for it and it somehow just works for me, but
that may be arch dependend)

> * FreeBSD's jail(2) feature

I think this is controversial. The idea itself is not bad, but it is just a
very specific implementation of some more general concept. One could even
argue that you could do something similar (or even more) with chroot and
systrace (in current). I'm not sure I see real world uses where you realy
would need jail(2), but that's probably just me.

Martin