Subject: Re: Today's build fails 31 July
To: <>
From: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/01/2003 12:59:49
Soren Jacobsen wrote:
> On 07/31 14:26, walt wrote:
>
>>Patrick Welche wrote:
>>
>>>I saw this for the first time today too. Typing "unlimit" at my csh
>>>prompt
>>
>>Hmm.  Interesting.  I'm a bit puzzled because I tried typing 'ulimit'
>>at a csh prompt and got "command not found'.
>

> unlimit, not ulimit. "unlimit" will set all resources to unlimited.
> bash's "ulimit" is like csh's "limit"
>

>>When I switched to bash and typed 'ulimit' I got "unlimited' as a response,
>>but still got the same error when compiling 'distribution'.
>

> ulimit defaults to file size, I believe. That is not likely the resource
> limit that you were running into. You probably want: ulimit -m unlimited
>

>>Are you sure you are running csh?  Remember, build.sh uses 'sh' as a shell.
>

> Children inherit process limits.

Thank you for the excellent observation.  The ability of the human mind to
see what it wants and ignore reality is UNlimit-ed.  Just look at
Washington D.C. for more proof  ;-)

Oddly, when I tried 'ulimit -m unlimited' in bash I still got the same
error, so there must be some other variation that could be used.  I did
finally go to csh and used 'UNlimit' which worked as advertised.