Subject: Re: HTTPS support patch for /usr/bin/ftp
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-current-users@quatriemek.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/30/2003 22:26:01
Le Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:33:35 -0400 (EDT)
Gary Thorpe a ecrit :
>  --- Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote: > On Tue, Jul 29,
> 2003 at 02:22:51PM -0400, Gary Thorpe wrote:
> > > Why does an *ftp client* need http/https support? Or does this add
> > SSL
> > > support to the ftp client? Are there any ftp servers which support
> > SSL?
> > > If you want to download from HTTP/HTTPS servers, shouldn't you use
> > > another tool (like wget), or is there no such tool in the base
> > system?
> >
> > I have some trouble understanding why we should add wget to the base
> > system when ftp handles http URLs just fine, and has done so for
> > quite
> > literally _years_.
> >
> > Thor
>
> I am not saying wget should be in the base system. What I am saying is
> that there is no need for a ftp client to to be able to download from
> any urls except ftp. This sound like something a certain Software
> Company does with its products to make them "featue rich".
>
> If I want to download files from a HTTP/HTTPs server, I would install
> links, lynx, w3m, one of the probably many other text browsers or a gui
> web browser: how many people _need_ to access HTTP/HTTPS servers from
> the base install who _would not_ install a web browser? I have
> installed links/lynx for this purpose.

ftp is the command used by pkgsrc to fetch files. If that worry you *that*
much that it is called 'ftp', I guess a solution would be to have a link
to it installed as 'fetch', to make the functionalities of ftp apparent.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.