Subject: Re: port-i386/22096: i386 bootblocks are incompatible with older mainboards
To: None <gnats-bugs@gnats.netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2003 10:26:25
> > Done. I'll report if it works.
>
> This bootblock works fine for me.

Ok that is enough to close the PR.
Have you checked that the other ones still dont work?

My best guess is that your windows partition is at the start of the
disk, and the netbsd one further down.

The netbsd code at the start of the partition will read the disk
using the CHS value for the partition start (provided it is below 8GB).
If one system used a CHS mapping other than 63/255/1023 then it would
reference the wrong sectors.

OTOH it might be one of the bugs I fixed :-)

> Should we perhaps remove the old ones because they are apparently broken?

I haven't (yet) removed all the places where they are used.
(and there may be sysems that boot with them, but not with the 'new' ones.)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk