Subject: Re: new 802.11 driver: ADMtek ADM8211
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/2003 23:24:18
On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 08:14:31PM -0400, felix zaslavskiy wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 20:10, David Young wrote:
> > ADMtek tells me that you cannot use the ADM8211 to produce a host access
> > point. It makes economic sense: they want to sell their access point
> > chip, the ADM8211B. I will try a few more things before I write-off the
> > possibility of an AP mode.
> >
> What exactly is needed to be an AP? Is it that device cannot be in
> promiscuous mode ?

  An AP is supposed to send beacons with a special flag set, sending
  them under a little bit different rules than an ad hoc station sends
  beacons. To support power-saving, beacons have to carry the precise
  value of a 64-bit microsecond timer.  An AP is also supposed to answer
  power-saving stations' PS-Poll messages with either an ACK or a Data
  frame, and in real-time.

Dave