Subject: Re: Disable tftp
To: None <dbhasin@hss.hns.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/2003 11:34:26
On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 07:13:14PM +0530, dbhasin@hss.hns.com wrote:
> I would like to disable tftp service on my NETBSD server but even after
> putting a hash in front of the entry in /etc/inetd.conf and restarting the
> inetd daemon I am able to connect to server through tftp client, do I need
> to do some other changed at some other path or file.

Can you actually get/put files?  Unless I'm misremembering, tftp
doesn't open a connection with the server until you actually attempt
a file transfer.

You can run netstat to see which ports are available on your system.
For example, on my machine, which is a tftp server, I see

$ netstat -an | more
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
[...]
tcp        0      0  *.22                   *.*	                   LISTEN
udp        0      0  *.67                   *.*
udp        0      0  *.69                   *.*
[...]

In this case, you can see ssh (tcp/22), bootps (udp/67), and tftp (udp/69)
are all available.  If you don't see that line, you should be in good shape.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/