Subject: Re: new 802.11 driver: ADMtek ADM8211
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/07/2003 21:40:16
In message <BFD0FE62-B0CF-11D7-A7E1-000A957650EC@wasabisystems.com>, Jason
writes:

-> On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 05:10  PM, David Young wrote:
->
-> > ADMtek tells me that you cannot use the ADM8211 to produce a host
-> > access
-> > point. It makes economic sense: they want to sell their access point
-> > chip, the ADM8211B. I will try a few more things before I write-off the
-> > possibility of an AP mode.
->
-> That's fine... I'd be happy to buy ADM8211B-based cards if there is an
-> open-source driver for them.  Please make that clear to them.

And if the range of the cards is acceptable :-)

I do have to send a big "thanks" to David though... the NetBSD driver
is much better recovering from situations where the link may be spotty
or where the card considers it spotty, anyway (my old Lucent Gold has
no issues in most of those same spots :-).

Under Win2k, the card generally drops off the air until prodded from
the configuration app to re-scan for APs.. Under NetBSD it picks up
right where it left off without my intervention (this is with a DWL-
650).  Also, it seems there are less "dark spots" under NetBSD than
under Win2k.

Thanks, David!

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill