Subject: Re: 1.6.1 eats memory
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/2003 19:33:33
petrov@netbsd.org (Andrey Petrov) writes:

>You can also try NFS without IPsec, so problem will be more localized,

NFS leaks memory when network traffic uses mbufs with 'aux' buffers
because the code manually pokes mbuf structures to align data, but
then ignores (and leaks) 'aux' buffers.

'aux' buffers are used by IPsec and maybe other subsystems. Not using
IPsec will hide the problem and (as it did to me) hints to IPsec
as the culprit, which is the wrong direction.

<rant>
After I wrote the patch and asked for review I got three different
answers from NetBSD developers:

- nobody wants to look at the NFS code, it's too ugly.
- nobody wants to look at mbuf code, it's too complex.
- 'aux' buffers have been a bad idea from the beginning
</rant>

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de