Subject: Re: 1.6.1 eats memory
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/2003 14:06:17

    Martti> My NetBSD/i386 1.6.1 server hangs sometimes and the only
    Martti> way to fix this is to reboot the whole thing. The host is
    Martti> using IPsec with manual keys, my other 1.6.1 hosts without
    Martti> IPsec are rock stable.

    Martti> Just before reboot I noticed this (from netstat -m). When this happens I
    Martti> can still ping the host but I can't use e.g. SSH to access it.

    Martti> 28803 mbufs in use:
    Martti>          28793 mbufs allocated to data
    Martti>          9 mbufs allocated to packet headers
    Martti>          1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
    Martti> 153/162 mapped pages in use
    Martti> 122232 Kbytes allocated to network (-2% in use)
    Martti> 0 requests for memory denied
    Martti> 0 requests for memory delayed
    Martti> 817 calls to protocol drain routines

    Martti> All ideas are welcome! I have upgraded the host to the
    Martti> latest netbsd-1-6 code so hopefully I never see this
    Martti> again...

Hmm, maybe you run into the same problem like

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2003/03/11/0010.html

The only certain way to provoke this (== same?) problem is to run swap
on a (raidframe) raid5 partition (which I turned off on our machines
for that reason :-().

Sadly, Greg had no time so far to analyze this problem...

Markus.