Subject: Re: replacing sendmail with postfix default
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/2003 20:07:43
William Allen Simpson said:

>What are the problems with postfix in the tree?  I don't see a lot of
>problem reports, and many of the public and private comments I've seen
>indicate that many folks are running postfix.

The main problem with postfix is that it needs to have some documentation.
Setting it up to receive mail and deliver system mail to a central system
on the network is no problem, but actually using it for the main mail server
in a domain is somewhat left to the imagination. It seems to use flat files
rather than databases for spam control, which must lead to performance
problems when access databases get as large as the are today.

There seems to be dozens of postfix sample files that have little or no
explanation about their purpose in life. The file main.cf seems to be in
a constance state of flux, where the order of entries change slightly with
every release. This makes it difficult to upgrade easily on a previously
configured server.

Sendmail works fine. It is documented in detail in books. I set it up the
first time back in the eighties via "man sendmail".

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com