Subject: Re: daily (& security) mail not delivered
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030628T082449@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/2003 08:31:42
atatat@atatdot.net (Andrew Brown) writes:
> i see two solutions to this problem.
>
> (1) make sendmail suid root again (and remove the /etc/mail/submit.cf
> file).
>
> (2) change the netbsd-proto.mc file not to do wildcard listening and
> enable sendmail in the default install.
>
> i don't think either of those will be liked by a large number of
> people.  any other ideas?

3) run sendmail in non-daemon mode out of cron every so often.  This
   is what I had in /etc/daily.local before I moved to postfix*:

    # cd to a safe directory in case something drops core.
    cd /tmp

    # Send all accumulated mail (mostly needed on the slave machines).
    # This is only a fall-back if the mail failed to go out at the
    # time it was sent.  (This can block on wlan portables, added
    # ampersand. -wsr) send stuff from main queue (should be empty on
    # all but capscium.wsrcc.com)
    /usr/sbin/sendmail -q0 &

    # send stuff from submit queue too.
    /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -q0 &

-wolfgang

* ironically I moved because sendmail had the highly annoying habit of
fully qualifying remote addresses, by appending my domain name.
Appending crap to "localhost" is the least of its problems.
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/