Subject: Re: toolchain/21988: after a kernel version bump, build.sh update builds
To: None <gnats-bugs@gnats.netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/2003 01:20:39
William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > I believe that the problem needs to be fixed properly, rather than
> > documenting it.
> >
> I'm big on documenting "what works"!  Maybe it's a workaround, but
> that's better than "not working right".
>
> Documentation is easy to change when the problem is "fixed properly".

So, I've been thinking about what I'd really like to see, based on my
previous practice mixing with this new build.sh environment.

Since the tools are more related to the src than the distribution or
obj, and has no relation to the -ARCH, I think it would help to have
the default tools location be:
  /wherever/src/../tools

That is,
  /usr/src -> /usr/tools
  /home/current/src -> /home/current/tools

That would allow folk to build multiple src more easily on the same
system, and be fairly easy to document.

It should NOT default (as it does now) to embed in /usr/obj/tools.*
The obj is definitely -ARCH related, and also src version conflicted.
--
William Allen Simpson