Subject: Re: build followed by install can die?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/2003 01:38:10
On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:11:04PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
  |     Date:        Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:31:41 +1000
  |     From:        Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
  |
  |   |   | But, my real question is, what target should be used to ENSURE that
  |   |   | everything is in good order, and install=/ should not fail?
  |   |
  |   | "distribution" ?
  |
  | I'd do (I do do) "release" - actually bulding the tarballs pretty much
  | guarantees that all the files expected for the distribuion sets exist
  | correctly.

Sure; but the original poster wanted to know what was the target to
use to make sure install=/ wouldn't fail [due to broken sets], and
"distribution" does that because it makes checkflist in distrib/sets/
...  (I'm sure you knew this :)

  | The nice side effect of having a release format set of
  | files that can trivially be copied onto CD is an additional benefit.

Good point.  The "iso-image" target in etc can be useful too; it can build
a bootable CD-ROM from a "release" build on some platforms, including i386.