Subject: Re: Somethings steals space from /
To: Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson@CatchFS.Com>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2003 23:22:08
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Ross Patterson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:24:36 -0400
> From: Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson@CatchFS.Com>
> To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
> Subject: Re: Somethings steals space from /
>
> On Thursday 26 June 2003 02:54 pm, Arto Huusko wrote:
> > Note that VMWare is not creating any files on /. Also, output of
> > "du -x" and "df" do not agree.
>
> Are you sure?  I run VMware under Linux and it creates files in /tmp/.vmware
> and /tmp/vmware-temp.  If those are in your root fs, ...

Ah, yes, /tmp is in root fs, and there is .vmware directory there. However,
there are no files under it.

Or is it somehow possible to claim space from fs without having a
visible file?

Hum, is VMWare possibly doing some unlink() trick? Open a swap file,
unlink() it, but since it's still open... that would explain it,
and in that case, sorry for the noice.

BTW, I'd like to ask the list (again) do others experience the periodic
VMWare freezes when running under NetBSD. It is *really* annoying.