Subject: Re: build followed by install can die?
To: NetBSD current list <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2003 12:15:18
Luke Mewburn wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:56:30AM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>   | So, throughout the documentation, './build.sh  build' should be changed
>   | to './build.sh distribution'?  That does match the proposed building(8)
>   | man page example....
>
> Which documentation specifically?  src/BUILDING, or something else?

I was looking at:
  Changes/index.list
  Documentation/updating.list
  Documentation/cross/index.list
  Documentation/current/index.list
  Documentation/kernel/index.list

I thought from its layout that src/BUILDING was on its way to being a
man page?  That's what I meant by proposed building(8).

Of course, as mentioned before by Bellovin on 17 Jun 2003, it would need
a lot of reorganization.  I'd recommend splitting into 2 documents,
where ./build.sh is documented in building(8), and all the make
variables are still hidden away in src/BUILDING.

>   | Shouldn't './build.sh distribution' be the equivalent of
>   | 'make buildworld' (not 'make distribution'), as './build.sh install'
>   | seems to run 'make installworld'?
>
> The only difference between "distribution" and "buildworld" in the
> top-level Makefile is that "buildworld" ensures that DESTDIR is set
> to the non-root directory (i.e, you can't accidentally build over
> your running system with "buildworld").

This is good!

> "./build.sh distribution" also enforces DESTDIR != /.
> (i.e., does same check as "make buildworld")

This is good!  And would be helpful to be documented as such!  (Not
mentioned in src/BUILDING.)

> "./build.sh -E distribution" allows DESTDIR = /.
> (if you're clueful enough to fix problems that occurred because you
> used -E, there's no reason to enforce "buildworld"'s DESTDIR!=/
> semantics).

Saw that!  Sorry, but in over a decade of building various *nix flavors,
I've always avoided directly building into /.  Call me conservative, but
I don't intend to start anytime soon :-)
--
William Allen Simpson