Subject: Re: init: can't exec /bin/bash for /etc/rc: Exec format error
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2003 06:27:39
Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com> typed:
: And we will mock you for using a shell that's dynamic

This is -current.  Every binary(*), except the /rescue/* binary and the
kernel, is dynamic by default.  What's the problem with having a root
shell which isn't in /bin if you have local access to the machine?  If you've
got a problem, boot into single user mode and pick whatever shell you want.

(*) not including packages.  The perl binary is static by default on some
platforms.  And it is faster on my P4-2K - shaves off about .1 sec startup
time.

: default root shell really doesn't wanna be changed.

Maybe someone wants /bin/sh or /bin/ksh for root instead of /bin/csh.
I don't see a problem with that.

Regards,
Geoff