Subject: Re: init: can't exec /bin/bash for /etc/rc: Exec format error
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2003 01:58:51
Quoting Ian Zagorskih (ianzag@megasignal.com):
> On Wednesday 25 June 2003 02:24, felix zaslavskiy wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 22:17, Brian Rose wrote:
> > I like to know what these dire consequences are because the first thing
> > i do when i install netbsd is install bash and change default shell for
> > root to /usr/pkg/bin/bash

Well, that's bad.

> > I never had a problem on three machines i been using.
And your life will be fine until it just totally sucks.
And we will mock you for using a shell that's dynamic
and far away from / (and bloated).

If you want bash as root, type "bash" when you become root.
(sudo bash  also works).

> For bash installed from packages:
> bash-2.05$ ldd /usr/pkg/bin/bash
> /usr/pkg/bin/bash:
>          -ltermcap.0 => /usr/lib/libtermcap.so.0
>          -lintl.0 => /usr/lib/libintl.so.0
>          -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12
> ....so if you do not have access @/usr/lib you cannot run bash :)

Unless, as I do with zsh and tcsh, you build it static.
but I still type "sudo zsh" to get it.

default root shell really doesn't wanna be changed.