Subject: Re: init: can't exec /bin/bash for /etc/rc: Exec format error
To: None <felix@students.poly.edu>
From: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/2003 23:35:53
felix zaslavskiy wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 22:17, Brian Rose wrote:
>
> I like to know what these dire consequences are because the first thing
> i do when i install netbsd is install bash and change default shell for
> root to /usr/pkg/bin/bash
>
> I never had a problem on three machines i been using.

If /usr is mounted on another partition and you develop trouble on it, then you will not be able to access bash. If you have all your repair scripts tweaked for bash, this could limit your use of them.

But this is just a rule of thumb that I heard from some old-timers. They said that I should have all of my recovery tools on / so that I can do work with a minimal system.