Subject: Re: Backup to Tape
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/2003 16:06:25
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> ["Those issues are irrelevant" etc. remarks deleted.]

Now, Greg, perhaps you can stop being patently offensive and pretending
that the entire world is either just like you or stupid, because it's
far more likely everyone in the world is either both or neither.

I'll provide a bit of explanation for points you've obviously competely
missed, rather than merely half-way understood and then brushed aside with
a wave of your hand ("Your real problem is that you're not Greg Woods!").

> > and starting putting my CDs on-line (currently at 150 GB...
>
> I'd venture to say that CDs are not really things you "must" backup, and
> particularly not for off-site copies.  You do, after all, still have the
> original media, right?  ;-)

No, in fact I don't "have" them right now, because I'm sitting in my
office and the original media are at home. Nor do I have them when I'm
travelling. Nor do I care to go through the tedious job of re-ripping
CDs every time I want to make a new set of MP3s to stick on my laptop.

And I lose permanent access to them if they're stolen, which is my
biggest worry. I have a moderate number of CDs which it would be
extremely troublesome, and possibly expensive, to to replace, if they
could be replaced at all. If that's not a good reason for backing them
up, I don't know what is.

cjs