Subject: Re: libpthread
To: Lars Heidieker <lars@heidieker.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/2003 08:10:42
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Lars Heidieker wrote:
> Jason Thorpe wrote:
> > On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 05:47  PM, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> >
> > > You're all talking about the library, and of course that's the
> > > interface programs have to use to access the threading API (however
> > > implemented.)  But are there solid plans underway to give NetBSD 1x1
> > > and MxN kernel threading like which has appeared in FreeBSD 5.x?  Or
> >
> > The library we're talking about uses a thread management scheme known
> > as Scheduler Activations, which provides an MxN model.
>
> Probably it would be good idea to develop a 1:1 lib as well its much
> simpler
> and let the user choose which one to use
> The SMP problems are int sa code so a 1:1 lib should do on SMP.
> Its just an idea

My first reaction is to say, "No, SMP is the whole point of threads,
so it should better be fixed." On second thought, sprinkling in all
the required cache invalidations may well kill performance worse than
forcing all threads in a process to a single processor, depending on
the program, so maybe there should be a link-time option?

Frederick