Subject: Re: updating, build and install order
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/22/2003 01:51:59
>ps: I prefer to install my kernel into /netbsd.$((`cat version` - 1))
>(assuming I'm in the build directory), and then
>	ln -f /netbsd.$((`cat version` - 1)) netbsd
>(or the equivalent of that).   That way the dmesg output from the boot can
>immediately be linked to the /netbsd.N file booted - even months later, and
>I can easily step backwards 1, 2, 3, 4, ... versions (until / starts to
>run out of space and I delete the ones that are no longer useful).

i do something similar, but have it somewhat "automated".  my
/etc/mk.conf contains (in brief -- it's actually somewhat more
complicated for my own silly reasons):

	.ifndef BSD_PKG_MK
	.if defined(KERNEL_BUILD)
	install:
		@v=`what netbsd | sed -n 's/.*\(#[^:]*\):.*/\1/p'`; \
		echo "cp netbsd /NetBSD/${KERNEL_BUILD}$$v"; \
		cp netbsd /NetBSD/${KERNEL_BUILD}$$v; \
		echo "mv -i /netbsd /onetbsd"; mv -i /netbsd /onetbsd; \
		echo "cp netbsd /"; cp netbsd /
	.endif # KERNEL_BUILD
	.endif # BSD_PKG_MK

that means that after doing a "make dependall" in the kernel compile
directory, i can simply "make install" and get what i want.

i suppose i could add a .ifndef RELEASEDIR to that, but thus far it's
served me well.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."