Subject: Re: updating, build and install order
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2003 18:41:13
    Date:        Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:00:57 -0500 (CDT)
    From:        Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>

  | For one thing, the i386 bootblocks won't fall back to "/onetbsd" if
  | "/netbsd" is missing -- they fall back to "/netbsd.old".

That's not true - or rather, is partially true.   The order is netbsd
netbsd.old then onetbsd (with .gz versions of each tried as well).

Personally I much prefer not having any automater procedure scribbing on
my netbsd.old which I maintain as a known good version - if I make a new
kernel to replace an old one that has problems, I really don't want the
old one with problems becoming netbsd.old (though becoming onetbsd is not
so bad,so it is still there for a while if needed).

  | For another,
  | "cp" plus "mv" is not the same thing as "install -pr" -- you're going
  | to end up overwriting your backup kernel in "/onetbsd". To get the
  | same effect, you'd need to unlink "/netbsd" before the copy.

That's simply rubbish - the procedure in the makefile is perfectly safe.
You probably copied onto /netbsd instead /nnetbsd (or had a /nnetbsd
around which was lined to /netbsd, or something).

  | Thirdly,
  | the single "install" command, besides being more elegant, also sets
  | the permissions consistently.

True, but hardly serious.

kre

ps: I prefer to install my kernel into /netbsd.$((`cat version` - 1))
(assuming I'm in the build directory), and then
	ln -f /netbsd.$((`cat version` - 1)) netbsd
(or the equivalent of that).   That way the dmesg output from the boot can
immediately be linked to the /netbsd.N file booted - even months later, and
I can easily step backwards 1, 2, 3, 4, ... versions (until / starts to
run out of space and I delete the ones that are no longer useful).