Subject: Re: libpthread
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2003 09:47:36

> On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 04:40  PM, wulf@ping.net.au wrote:
>
> > I don't believe that it is a problem of finding volunteers willing to
> > spend time on this, but a lack on the number of volunteers that have
> > the
> > knowledge and expertise on this matter.
> >
> > Don't you agree?
>
> No, I don't.  While I don't expect everyone to be an expert, I do
> expect a little more effort that I seem to be seeing.
>
> The pthread library has a number of debugging options.  There is a
> debug log that you can run a dmesg-like program on to get pretty
> detailed information on every action the library takes.  There are also
> various application debugging options (note that a fair number of
> things that were blamed on libpthread at first turned out to be bugs in
> the applications!).
>
> When people see failures, they should use the tools at their disposal
> to get as much information as possible about the failure.  You don't
> have to be an expert in how the SA/pthreads system works to do this.
>
> I know of one person (Bill Studenmund, an expert in a number of areas,
> but whom I suspect will not claim to be an expert in how SA/pthreads
> works :-) who has had great success at getting pthreads bugs fixed by
> providing very thorough debugging information to Nathan when he has a
> problem.

Thanks for your comments and point taken...

Can you point us to documents that describes the pthread related debug
options or give us an indication on how to proceed in obtaining maximum
benefits from such debugging exercise?

I've got a spare system that I can use to specifically exercise pthread
related issues and provid feedback if this is what is needed.

cheerio Berndt