Subject: Re: libpthread
To: None <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/2003 16:09:16
In message <3EF2E89F.7000502@augustsson.net>, Lennart Augustsson writes:
>Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
>>This is busted enough -- and has been busted enough for long enough --
>>that it's causing major sites to seriously reconsider using NetBSD.
>>That's not a good thing, and hopefully it will change soon.
>>
>I think we should consider backing out the pthread stuff until it works
>properly.
>The current situation is quite embarressing, I think.  I've always
>touted NetBSD
>as being rock stable, even when using -current.  This is no longer true.

It's not the case for 1.6.1, either -- as I and several others have
noted repeatedly, we believe that there's some bug in UBC that crashes
systems at times of high disk activity.  (It happened to my laptop just
last night -- a 'cvs update' of pkgsrc was nearing completion, when I
deiconized galeon.  Everything just stopped...  I'd love to get a crash
dump, but I have no other way to recover other than power-cycling.  And
the machine has .5 gig of RAM; it's not as if it's starved for buffers.
Hmm -- if my battery holds out, I'll try to work on the software
watchdog timer.  Nothing better to do on this flight...)