Subject: Re: libpthread
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/2003 10:03:01
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:54:42PM +0200, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > I've been running -current since NetBSD's inception and I have never seen
> > it in as bad a state as it is right now.  In the past there have been
> > serious bugs, of course, but they were usually fixed within days.
> > (At the moment I get a few kernel panics every day.)
>
> That's certainly very bad.  It's also quite the opposite of my
> experience, in that -current actually seems to be especially good
> for me at the moment.

I too am having a very different experience with -current and pthreads.
They run mostly fine on my system. I've pounded on a threaded app I'm
writing REALLY hard, and I've NOT had a kernel panic from it in many many
months. I am tickling bugs, but Nathan and I are working on fixing them.

That's not to say Lennart isn't having problems, just that they aren't
hitting everyone. If we can figure out what's different, that should help
figure out what's wrong. :-)

The only other thing that comes to mind is figure out how SAs work. Right
now we have only Nathan. All the other important systems, like drivers,
vm, file systems, network stacks, they all have multiple folks who can
help.

Take care,

Bill