Subject: Re: libpthread
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/2003 14:45:46
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> >This is busted enough -- and has been busted enough for long enough --
> >that it's causing major sites to seriously reconsider using NetBSD.
> >That's not a good thing, and hopefully it will change soon.
> >
> I think we should consider backing out the pthread stuff until it works
> properly.
> The current situation is quite embarressing, I think.  I've always
> touted NetBSD
> as being rock stable, even when using -current.  This is no longer true.

	Are pkgsrc apps causing the panic? Possibly we could consider
	defaulting pkgsrc to not using native pthreads on current?

	People should already be able to set PREFER_NATIVE_PTHREADS=NO in
	/etc/mk.conf.

	I've been running current on my laptop for a while and the
	only problems I see are with galeon, which a month or so ago
	was unusable (would hang on many pages, particularly on heavy
	paging activity. Requiring a machine reboot several times a
	day). Things are improving - it will hang every other day or so,
	and  upon killing it the machine _may_ reboot, or any other
	process will fail to exit.

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --