Subject: Re: updating, build and install order
To: NetBSD current list <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/19/2003 13:20:04
Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>
> > Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > >
> > > You have some other problem than your new kernel (obviously).
> > >
> > > Building and installing a new kernel before building userland is highly
> > > recommended.
> >
> > Why?  I've asked for a reason.  This appears to be a myth.  There's
> > certainly good reasons *NOT* to do so.
>
> Okay. In all instances where I wrote "building userland", substitute
> "installing userland". Those two steps have been done with one operation
> for a long time, so that I usually don't bother separating them apart.

So, here I am talking about a problem with the documented procedure,
and now it appears that the naysayer doesn't even *USE* the documented
procedure -- that I referenced several times -- at:
  http://netbsd.org/Documentation/current/

Those two operations have been available separately for a very long
time.  I cannot remember ever doing build and install in 1 operation,
certainly not in -current on any *BSD where the build might fail.

> Nowadays, people are starting to separate them more, so I guess I should
> be more careful with what I write.

Yeah, when talking about documentation, care in writing is of the essence.

(I apologize profusely for confusing Bellovin and Elz.  Heck, other
than stature and physiognomy, the hair color is a dead giveaway :-)
--
William Allen Simpson