Subject: Re: build.sh parameter confusion
To: NetBSD current list <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/2003 09:09:44
"Valeriy E. Ushakov" wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 23:38:08 -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > "-O" is historical, and it's also the default. "-M" leaves you a
> > completely clean source tree, no "obj*" directory or symlink
> > whatsoever. If BSDSRCDIR is in "/usr/src", and MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is
> > "/usr/obj", an entire tree of directories will be created under
> > "/usr/obj/usr/src".
>
> Using -O for build.sh will NOT create any obj symlinks in the source
> tree, you can run build.sh -O over a read-only tree just fine.

OK, I see that I'm not the only one that is slightly confused ;-)
Things are getting better and better....

Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:16:13AM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > Hmmm. Does this mean that multiple, concurrent builds to different
> > target architectures are possible?
>
> Yes.

Is there consensus that -O is for folks building a single machine
"platform" target, and -M is for building multiple targets?

(That's the kind of information that would be nice to have in the
documentation....)
--
William Allen Simpson