Subject: Re: updating, build and install order
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/18/2003 09:00:22
On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 07:13:31PM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> No, the only thing I wanted to know was whether a new kernel would
> affect the building of userland, and the answer appears to be "yes",
> but only in a negative way (a tool no longer working).

The answer is yes, and the effects depend on exactly what you are doing,
see below. It is very unlikely that a new, working kernel will prevent sshd
from working, unless you are using IP filter on this machine and the filter
rules did not get installed (due to the well know version issuses in the
in tree ipf)

> Thus, the documentation needs to be changed to do all the builds first,
> kernel and userland, and then do the install.

This depends on wether you build to DESTDIR != / and do installworld later
(wich is now the way you are supposed to use build.sh) or if you are building
to DESTDIR=/ (which used to be what lots of people did before).

In the latter case it's very, very important to run the new kernel before
starting to replace libc etc.

I agree that nowadays, when you first build to a (temporary) destdir and
install to / later, it is absolutely safe to build the world, build the kernel,
install kernel and userland and then reboot.

So the documentation should be upgraded to reflect build.sh reality, and maybe
split into a -current and a 1.6-branch section.

Martin