Subject: USB keyboard (mis-)support issues...
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/2003 22:04:33
Greetings, and firstly a HUGE "Thank you VERY much" to everyone who
helped
get the USB code into its current state.

That said, I'm experiencing some problems using a USB keyboard as the
(supposedly) primary (read: only) keyboard on a PS/2-capable box:

- Under standard conditions, it still "finds" the keyboard
  as
	wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
  and then
        wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
	wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0

- The keyboard does not receive the encoding of "us.swapctrlcaps" at the
  wscons configuration portion of the boot.

- If I set it up manually with that encoding, switching virtual screens
  no longer works; in fact, if I connect to the console screen, I am unable
  to get back to the X screen from whence I switched.

- This is equally a problem if I force the usb keyboard to be the console
  keyboard (or do I have to declare it as

	wskbd0 at ukbd? mux ? console ?
??).

- In either case, I cannot break into ddb with the usb keyboard.

If this is a user-configuration error, I apologise and the PR I sent can
be closed.

Tangentially:

The wscons.conf file only makes allowances for the mapping to be assigned
to the console keyboard.  This makes zero sense to me; I have sent-pr
on this issue as well.  The fix for it will probably require more thought
than I gave it, but my (ahem) "egregious hack" works well, pro tempore.

[ what?  Me?  Have issues?  NEVVAH! ]

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: preferred by Rocket Scientists and Moms!