Subject: VMWare freezes
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2003 21:40:44
Hi,

I'm having really annoying problems trying to run VMWare 3.2.1 on
NetBSD 1.6T system.

I have two distinct problems:

 1. It seems VMWare crashes if I set it to use too much memory. I have
    512Mb instlled in my machine. When I set VMWare to use 128 Mb, it
    will always crash. I've seen two different kinds of crashes:
    - VMWare error dialog complaining about stack overflow.
    - VMWare error complaining about monitor exception (sorry, I haven't
      copied exact error and context information).
    For example, I could never install Windows 2000 in the virtual
    machine when I used 128Mb. It always crashed when it was copying the
    files. With 64Mb, the installation went without problems.

 2. VMWare freezes periodically up to five seconds. During this time
    nothing happens inside the virtual machine: mouse can't be moved,
    screen doesn't update, etc. Rest of the NetBSD system is usable,
    during this freeze period.

    Based on some experiments, I have gathered this:
    - the freezes happen only when there is some load on VMWare
    - It seems that when I do same tasks all the time, freezes don't
      occur any more, but if I do something else, things start to freeze
      again (kind of like if things were swapped out).
    - When VMWare freezes, I observed from top (there are two vmware
      processes visible in top) that the process is in state "vnlock",
      "genput", or "uvn_fp2". Most of the time, when vmware is in
      "vnlock" state, I saw [iosyncer] in "genput" state.

If it makes any difference, VMWare uses a virtual disk whose file is
on a local NetBSD partition.

Also, I recall that these problems started when I first moved from
NetBSD 1.6 (using VMWare 2) to -current last year. While VMWare
wasn't that fast then, it never did those freezes on 1.6.

So, does anyone know what's up with this, and is this something that
can be fixed by tweaking some settings?