Subject: Re: HEADS-UP: Perl programmer wanted to fix "xsrc" problem
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 13:33:51
On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> >> How about sh/awk/sed?
> >
> > Rewriting it as a shell script would probably cause a performance
> > degradation.
>
> Uh, but it's only used as a host tool, right?  So what if it takes a
> little longer to run...

All it's doing is creating a plaintext file with minor changes from
the original plaintext file. It seems like exactly the sort of thing
that "awk" is designed for.

My thoughts are to turn the logic of the perl script inside out,
hashing the mapping, and using that as a filter for the bdf font.
Hashing the whole font under "gawk" would not be very efficient, or
reliable, and it shouldn't really be a problem reading in the source
font twice for each output file, since the file would still be in the
file cache. (Twice, because the minimum bounding box is specified near
the top of the file, even though you need to see each glyph to figure
out what it should be.)

I've started writing a shell-awk script that mostly does the encodings
part, but there's still a lot of detail work to be done to make it
functionally equivalent to the perl script, if anyone's interested in
collaborating...

Frederick